(See the bodice page why it just *can’t* look like this when it’s worn – the ladder lacing is missing)
The chemise seems to be made of a soft, well draping fabric – look how nicely it pulls along the gathered pleats around the neckline.
However, the sleeves have to get a little more body, to be able to hold the paned brocade sleeves out.
So my planning for the chemise is basically this: the body itself will be made of a soft, well draping fabric – like silk/cotton batiste, of which I have made the partlet of the Pelican gown.
The sleeves will have to get some stiffer lining – like silk organza, so that they will be able to hold the brocade sleeves out.
A chemise is very simple – but for this gown I have to be very careful so that it will show just about one finger’s breadth wide along the neckline of the bodice. This is why I have decided to *first* make the bodice, and afterwards this chemise.
So… on to the bodice we go.