Diesen Beitrag gibt es auch auf Deutsch.
When making the corset, I was mainly influenced by this beautiful original corset which was offered in an Ebay auction:
I didn’t buy this corset, because I have to admit that I didn’t find that particular Ebay auction – those pictures were sent to me by a friend, and I am almost sure that he sent them to me in order to make me actually want and make that particular corset.
I think his exact (translated from German) words were: “I don’t think anyone in the world could make such a corset today.”
Alright, my friend – you’ve reached your goal, I’ll reproduce it – of course not just because you said that no one could, but also because I like it a lot…
After making a pattern for this corset, I started by embroidering some initials – as are to be seen on the original corset on the right side in the forth picture. Just, of course, that I didn’t embroider “R&G” to it, but my very own initials.
I did the embroidery on the fabric I had chosen for this corset – duchesse silk in two colors: charcoal and light gray. Before doing *anything* with that fabric, I watered it (meaning I left it with some water, often changing this from cold to hot, in the bathtub for two days) to preshrink the fabric.
Nothing is as bad as a well fitting corset that will shrink considerably after the first cleaning – and this silk duchesse *does* shrink, believe me.
Here’s a picture of the embroidery I made:
After the embroidery was finished, I started cutting the pieces from the pattern I had made for the corset; first in duchesse silk…
…and then I’ve sewn those pieces together.
Afterwards, I’ve cut the corset pattern pieces once again – this time from a double layer of herringbone linen, which I afterwards also sew together.